Friday, November 3, 2006

A Second Passion

Now that the week has drawn to a close I can take the time to talk about one of my other passions:my work.
I know that the passion you usually read on this site about my love of life, my love of CJ, and how all of that is expressed.
Now for something completely different.

On Wednesday and Thursday of this past week I went to retreat for work. I work on a assertive community treatment team. Without getting into the whole model, basically what we do is mobile mental health treatment, working as a team. We treat people out in the community because they haven't responded to traditional treatments, like coming to a doctor's office for an appointment or going to a pharmacy to get medication.
The people I work with and the company I work for includes some of the best people I've ever met.

During this retreat we not only learned about how to serve our clients (what we call our patients) better, but learned more about one another. We are a very diverse crowd, coming from any nations around the world, men and women, young and old, from many different backgrounds, but all on the same path, that is to help people with our expertise and love.
As stressful as it all is, it's become a passion of mine. We help people who are severely mental ill (that is to say psychotic), along with being any of the following: homeless, HIV positive, substance abusers, just to name a few of the stressors.
And you know what folks? In spite of all the bad news that you hear most every evening on the news, the stuff we do is working, there are many success stories in my business.

Stay decent and respectful to each other and it's amazing how you can become the change you want to see in the world.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

debbie,

thanks for posting this! what a greatly needed and useful job you are doing. I have several long time close friends who suffer severe mental illness, and it can be an isolated world for them at times. I also like it when 'sex bloggers' branch out a little about themselves, to enrich the reading experience.

rups xo

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you see my post that way.
My work is a real passion for me and at the same time I do want people to see me as more than just a sex blogger. I'm a real person with a family I love and a good job. I do all the mundane things that most people do every day.

As for your friends, I think it's great that you remain friends with people that really need a friend.

Anonymous said...

It sounds like very meaningful work. It's nice to get a glimpse of this side of you and your life!

Hugs
Des

jack said...

What a wonderfull rewarding job. You really feel fulfilled after work I sense. Having a positive impact on anothers life is the greatest gift to offer. It simply can't be purchased so it comes from the heart.

Woody

Anonymous said...

I am glad that you like your work. And that you see it as more than something you do to make money. There should be more people in the world like you.