Monday, May 28, 2007

Never Forget

I'm not going to say Happy Memorial Day because there is nothing happy about it.
I've bared all so to speak on this blog, but today is a day that I can't hold back from letting my politics and beliefs show.
If you ask anyone that knows me they know that I am a great lover of this country, I stay optimistic about it. I have actively participated in politics and government for a large part of my life. I am believe that to be a good citizen you have to.
I believe that our young people, most of them from the poorer classes serving in the Army to be able to pay for college or medical care, shouldn't be paying the ultimate price in another country's civil war.
I believe it's wrong.
I believe we need to make this country worth fighting for before go across the world spreading our doctrine.
I believe we have become the new Roman Empire.

Disagree? That's fine, I won't get rid of your comments because it's your right [Amendment I: Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.]

Below are some reminders about loving your country.

You're not to be so blind with patriotism that you can't face reality. Wrong is wrong, no matter who does it or says it.
Malcolm X (1925 - 1965)
Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel.
Samuel Johnson (1709 - 1784)

My country, right or wrong. In one sense I say so too. My country; and my country is the great American Republic. My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right.
Carl Schurz (1829–1906)
Please visit the Iraq Page to remember those who have lost their live in the Iraq War from 2003 to 2007.

4 comments:

Dave... said...

Debbie,

Memorial Day is not about patriotism. It isn't about politics. It isn't about whether or not we agree with the deployment of troops in the conflict of the day.

Memorial Day is about honoring those who have given their lives in the causes of this nation, whether or not we agree with the politics of why.

Those who serve may oppose the very fight they are in, but they serve because that is what they are called to do, and this day is to honor those who have passed. Whether or not they agreed with the causes to which they were called to fight.

Anonymous said...

Dave, you definetly make a point and I agree. I'm not against Memorial Day. That ultimate sacrifice should never be trivalized or forgotten.

My problem is the recent propaganda to validate the unnecessary giving of that sacrifice.

Anonymous said...

At least you make it up- we just follow....

DESIRE X said...

I've lost friends in this war. And seen some young lives ruined. I have mixed emotions about celebrating today.

Winston Churchill said "Dictators ride to and fro upon tigers which they dare not dismount. And the tigers are getting hungry."

I wonder if we'll ever be able to dismount this tiger without getting eaten alive?

Love you babe, and I admire your candor.

Her